Shako of the 73rd Regiment acquired by the Black Watch Museum in 2000 with an NFA grant of £1,250.
To celebrate the 60th anniversary of the National Fund for Acquisitions, many of this year’s Object of the Month posts on the Black Watch Museum’s website will feature acquisitions made with the support of the Fund. June’s Object of the Month was a shako of the 73rd Regiment of the pattern worn between 1844 and 1855. It is currently on display in the Black Watch Museum’s Day in the Life gallery, in a case that looks at the theme of dress.
The word shako comes from the Hungarian name for ‘peaked cap’. Shakos were adopted as part of military uniform across Europe from about 1800.The shako is made of heavy felt and leather. This particular example features a gold badge of the 73rd on the front with the battle honours Seringapatam, Waterloo and Mangalore. The shako has a gold-embroidered chin strap secured by gold rosettes.
The 73rd started out as the second battalion of the 42nd, raised in 1779. Seven years later, the 2nd Battalion became a regiment in its own right, the 73rd Highland Regiment. The 73rd saw service around the world, including India, Australia, Waterloo and South Africa, before rejoining the 42nd and once again becoming the 2nd Battalion The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).
Learning and Audiences Officer
The Black Watch Castle and Museum